Thin Blue Line Decals at FireandRescueDecals.com

Another School Shooting Today.

TAFT, Calif. — A high school student was shot and wounded at a rural San Joaquin Valley high school Thursday, another student was arrested & taken into custody, officials said.

The incident occurred around 9 a.m. at Taft Union High School, a town of fewer than 10,000 people nestled among oil and natural gas production fields about 120 miles northwest of Los Angles CA.

The student who was wounded was flown to a hospital in Bakersfield, said Ray Pruitt, spokesman for the Kern County Sheriff’s Department. There was no immediate word on the victim’s condition.

Pruitt said the suspect is a student, and a shotgun was used in the shooting.

Kern County Fire Department Eric Coughran told KBAK-TV that another person suffered some injuries in the incident but refused medical attention.

KERO-TV Bakersfield reported that the station received calls from people inside the school who hid in closets.

It was not immediately clear how many students were enrolled at the high school, which teaches 9th through 12th grades.

The Taft shooting came less than a 30 days after a gunman killed 20 children and six women at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., then shot himself.

That shooting prompted President Barack Obama to promise new efforts to curb gun violence. Vice President Joe Biden, who was placed in charge of the initiative, said Tuesday in Washington, D.C., that he would deliver new policy proposals to the president by next week.

Comments

• I'm wondering if the sensationalism created by the media has ANY effect on the seemingly growing number of these types of events. Where is the line drawn between "the public's right to know" and "overkill" (absolutely NO pun intended)? I'm just curious if the media coverage is perpetuating this behavior.
  • Of course the media is to blame. They make tragedies more important than positive stories. Here in MN, I hear all the time how the media will spend a good 15-20 minutes on tragic stories like fires and shootings and such, but when a child has a successful small business or if a LEO gives someone $$$ so they can get tabs for their vehicle because they can't afford tabs and feed their family, at best they get 5 minutes of airtime. And when it comes to shootings, the gun is not to blame. It is the intention, it is the violent video games that kids should not be playing etc. I play my share of 1st person shooter games like Battlefield and Call Of Duty, but I also know better, that the game is a game and it is not to leave the screen.
  • Prayers for the Victim.
  • @LEOSup is exactly right. Not to drift too much off the subject of this post, but it's true - police officers do countless good deeds for citizens EVERY day, but they always seem to go unnoticed. The media really is one of law enforcement's biggest nightmares. They misconstrue and twist stories to the point of no return.