Thin Blue Line Decals at FireandRescueDecals.com

Officer helping child.

While taking a routine vandalism report at an elementary school, an officer was interrupted by a little boy about six years old. Looking up and down at his uniform, he asked, "Are you a cop?"
"Yes," he replied and continued writing the report.

"My mother said if I ever needed help I should ask the police. Is that right?"

"Yes, that's right," he told him.

"Well, then," he said as he extended his foot towards the officer, "would you please tie my shoe?"

Comments

• It is a good thing to explain to children that they can ask an officer anything! One thing I cannot stand is when I hear parents tell children that they better behave otherwise that officer over there is going to bring you to jail. That potentially puts fear in approaching police, fire, security, or ems personnel in the event that they actually need help.
  • My kids are already in a better position than most because Daddy wears a uniform and a badge. They already know to trust the man in that uniform. But more parents need to be instilling that in their children. The man in the uniform, whether it be a cop or security or a fireman, we're all here to help and most of us are all too happy to help. There are bad cops, there are lazy cops that might treat you like a waste of their time, but most aren't that way. Several years ago I was lost and the first thing I did was find a cop and flag him down to ask directions. He was a little cautious at first, understandably, but he was all to happy to give me directions once I explained my situation. More parents need to teach their kids that if they ever need ANYTHING, they can go to a teacher or a cop or a fireman and they'll be safe.
  • Well said guys!