Thin Blue Line Decals at FireandRescueDecals.com

Help keep cop killer Bruce Lorick behind bars.

Cop Killer Bruce Lorick is scheduled for a parole hearing on or about February 1, 2013. Lorick is serving 25 years to life in Sing Sing for the heinous 1980 murder of NYPD Transit Officer Joseph Keegan.

On June 19, 1980, Keegan attempted to apprehend Lorick at the 59th Street-Columbus Circle subway station, after Lorick attempted to evade paying his fare. As Keegan sought to eject Lorick from the station, Lorick grabbed Keegan’s firearm and shot Keegan in the head.

Lorick then fled the scene, but was soon apprehended, tried, and found guilty of second degree murder.

“My uncle was executed in cold blood,” said Keegan’s niece, Noreen Keegan-Connelly. “Witnesses heard him begging for his life. He cried, ‘Please don’t shoot!’, but Lorick shot him anyway and ran into a park, where he was caught hiding in a tree, like an animal.”

Keegan, 41, had served in law enforcement for over 19 years. He was survived by his fiancée, daughter, mother, two brothers, and two sisters.

Keegan had been planning to take an early retirement so that he could get married. He is remembered as a “deep and caring soul”, who always wanted to help people and to make a positive difference in the world.

Keegan’s family and the New York Police Benevolent Association (PBA) have implored the law enforcement community for help in their campaign to keep Keegan’s murderer behind bars. They are adamant that Lorick should never be released and that he should be ordered to fulfill the remainder of his sentence

“New York State must continue to send the message, as it did in the case of Bruce Lorick, that if you kill a police officer, you should never expect to walk the streets a free person again,” said Patrick Lynch, president of the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association.

“Officer Joseph Keegan was my uncle, the uncle I never had a chance to meet,” Erica Keegan wrote on the Officer Down Memorial Page. “He was killed 5 years before I was born. Although I wasn’t able to meet him and get to know him, I’ve heard endless stories about him over the years. He was truly a remarkable man and didn’t deserve to die the way he did!”

Keegan Connelly stated that each time Lorick is scheduled for a parole, hearing, it reopens raw emotional wounds for their family.

“It is an ongoing heartache, but he has no business walking free while we continue to suffer,’ she said. “There is no forgiving evil, and there is no rehabilitating evil, either. He should not be let out – ever.”

According to Keegan-Connelly, Lorick had the audacity to offer a monetary settlement to settle their differences, infuriating the family even more. In addition, he is so confident of his eventual release, that he placed a personal ad on prisonerlife.com in 2005. This further infuriated the Keegan family.

Lorick already had a record of violence and drug abuse at the time he so cruelly murdered Keegan. He has shown a total disregard for the law, and for the sanctity of human life. Lorick has never shown any remorse; he has continually minimized his culpability for his crimes; and he has never offered any apology Keegan’s family. He has proven himself to be a security risk during his incarceration, including fighting with other inmates and assaulting prison employees. Considering Lorick’s appetite for violence and his lack of empathy for the victims in this case, there is little doubt that Lorick is not candidate for parole.

The Parole Board is using an online form on its own web site to accept letters of opposition.

To send a letter of opposition to the Board of Parole, please visit their web site by clicking on the following link: https://www.parole.ny.gov/boardletters/forminput.jsp

After you fill out your personal information, you will see fields for “Din,” “Inmate Name” and “Subject of Your Email.” Here is what you will type in:

Din: #81A2502

Inmate Last Name:
Inmate First Name:
Subject of Your Email: Letter of Opposition
Then, in the “Comments” box, you can write your own letter, or cut and paste the following letter:

Then, in the “Comments” box, you can write your own letter, or cut and paste the following letter:

Re: No Parole for Bruce Lorick (inmate #81A2502)

Dear Parole Board Members,

I respectfully ask that you DENY PAROLE to Bruce Lorick, inmate #81A2502. This inmate’s violent murder of Police Officer Joseph Keegain in 1980 should preclude any consideration for parole.

On June 19th, 1980, Officer Keegan was brutally murdered with his own service weapon while attempting to arrest a fare evader in the city’s subway system.

Officer Keegan left behind a loving daughter and large family who have been forced to go on without their loved one.

As a concerned citizen and in the interest of public safety, I again respectfully ask that you DENY PAROLE to inmate #81A2502. Justice demands that he be made to spend every remaining day of his life in prison.

Sincerely,