Thin Blue Line Decals at FireandRescueDecals.com

NYPD soon to be in violation of new gun law.

NEW YORK (WABC) -- A troubling oversight has been found within New York State's sweeping new gun laws.

The ban on having high-capacity magazines, as it's written, would also include law enforcement officers.

Magazines with more than seven rounds will be illegal under the new law when that part takes effect in March.

As the statute is currently written, it does not exempt law enforcement officers.
Nearly every law enforcement agency in the state carries hand guns that have a 15 round capacity.

A spokesman for the governor's office called Eyewitness News to say, "We are still working out some details of the law and the exemption will be included, currently no police officer is in violation."

The Patrolman's Benevolent Association President released a statement saying, "The PBA is actively working to enact changes to this law that will provide the appropriate exemptions from the law for active and retired law enforcement officers."

State Senator Eric Adams, a former NYPD Captain, told us he's going to push for an amendment next week to exempt police officers from the high-capacity magazine ban. In his words, "You can't give more ammo to the criminals"

Comments

• It is in fact a very bad oversight. I strongly disagree with any magazine capacity ban or assault weapons ban as I feel that it does nothing to protect law enforcement or society, however, if New York feels that they must have a magazine ban, at least make it a 10 round ban like every other place. This will ensure that magazines already in possesion will be legal, and countless people won't be turned into criminals overnight. Civilians in New York are already limited to 10 rounds. There is no reason for this law to remain on the books, and in all honesty, the fact that it has no grandfather clause means that it will likely not last.
  • I also disagree with magazine size bans on principle, however my largest complaint about this law is the exclusion of a grandfather clause. I simply do not believe that any governing body should have the ability to make any legally purchased property illegal without some recourse. At the very least offer a buyback option for those affected.

Or simply do not pass such an asinine statute.
  • I'm not sure what you guys are complaining about. I'm sure when this law goes into effect, the criminals who are already illegally carrying will IMMEDIATELY turn in their "high-capacity" magazines, and stop committing violent acts. This is brilliant.
  • Somebody should point to Senator Adams that by banning so called assault rifles and high cap magazines that you are in fact giving the bad guys superior fire power. Or perhaps this is the plan of the progressive government. Let the bad guys kill a bunch of cops then seize all they guns.
  • This does make you wonder just exactly how well these statutes are proof read prior to submission. I've worked on amateur table top gaming systems with more critical analysis behind their rules.
  • I'm sure this is an over sight on the part of the government and will soon be corrected, in the mean time let the police get on with the job that they are not paid enough to do!
  • But State Senator Eric Adams, if it is against the Law to have high capacity mags then surely the criminals will give up theirs. The police won't have to worry about the criminals having more ammo. Isn't that why you all hurried to pass a law?
  • Stupid....!
  • Retards! Stupidest thing I have ever heard. In such a rush to screw the citizens they wind up screwing the the Police. What a joke.
  • Actually, under HR 218, they should be fine as it over rides all state and local firearms restrictions on all active duty and registered LEO's who qualify. But, never trust a power mad politician. They already believe they are above all laws anyway.
  • Thin Blue Line Decals at FireandRescueDecals.com
  • Honestly, I would just carry my 15 round STANDARD magazine on duty anyway. You know the department higher-ups aren't going to say anything
  • As a police officer in NY, there is no way I'm giving up my 15 round mag... The bad guys can get it, so we should have it too....
  • Don't understand why People that OBEY the law are being punished all the time!!! My GF carries and I take her to the range monthly...Me being in the field and being at work a lot and knowing my GF is safe and can handle herself makes me feel better when I am not home!!!
    It really pisses me off how the 'GOV' keeps changing laws that shouldn't be changed!!! If they look at 'statistics' Citizens that obey the gun laws and have guns actually keep crime down lol...Just more Political GOV. BSSSS Why don't we just give all our weapons to the GOV and then it is fixed!!!!