Thin Blue Line Decals at FireandRescueDecals.com
16 year old student suspended after disarming gunman
  • Sixteen Year-Old FL Student Suspended For Disarming Gunman & Saving Students

A sixteen year-old Florida student was suspended this week after disarming a gunmen on a school bus and saving fellow students.
    It was against school rules.

A Florida high school student wrestled a loaded gun away from another teen on the bus ride home this week and was slapped with a suspension in return.

The 16-year-old Cypress Lake High student in Fort Myers, Fla. told WFTX-TV there was “no doubt” he saved a life after grappling for the loaded .22 caliber revolver being aimed point-blank at another student on Tuesday.

“I think he was really going to shoot him right then and there,” said the suspended student, not identified by WFTX because of safety concerns. “Not taking no pity.”

The student said the suspect, a football player, threatened to shoot a teammate because he had been arguing with his friend.

Authorities confirmed to WFTX the weapon was indeed loaded, and the arrest report stated the suspect, identified by WVZN-TV as Quadryle Davis, was “pointing the gun directly” at the other student and “threatening to shoot him.”

That’s when, the teen told the station, he and two others tackled the suspect and wrestled the gun away. The next day, all three were suspended.

“How they going to suspend me for doing the right thing?” he asked.

The school’s referral slip said he was given an “emergency suspension” for being involved in an “incident” with a weapon.
  • 37 Comments sorted by
  • Really? How stupid has the world become..
  • I think the school needs to be suspended for allowing the gun on the bus to start with. The bus does belong to the school system, right? all the other student's parents need to suit the school system for endangering their children
  • Another example of administrators suffering from rectalcranialsuffocation!
  • can you send out the email addresses of the school administrators?
  • thats how ridiculous school rules are these days.
  • That is...by far...the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.......Those boys probably saved a life and they get slapped with a suspension....WOW
  • No good deed goes unpunished.
  • Speechless.........

• The e-mail addresses for Admins @ Cypress Lake High School have been taken 'offline'
    Principal Tracy Perkins, Asst Principal Tara Meagher, Asst Principal Adam Kurtz, Asst Principal Johnathan Perkins, Asst Principal Rochelle Thimlar can all be contacted by phone: 239 481 2233 or FAX 239 481 1083. The campus is within the Lee County Public School District, Superintendent of Schools Joseph Burke, Ed.D can be reached by phone 239 337 8301 or FAX 239 337 8378 / 239 335 1406.
    Please let this School District know, although everyone is quite aware of the dangers of Civilians engaging armed suspects & the school districts commitment to the education and well-being of students, this situation presented unmitigated danger to everyone on board the bus. These three young men displayed exemplary selflessness; unusual courage and undoubtedly prevented a dire situation from escalating.

Under these circumstances, an exception should be made in respect to District policy & these young men should be awarded for their decisive action which prevented untold injuries and potential death of another student(s)
  • Thin Blue Line Decals at FireandRescueDecals.com
  • Before everyone and their brother starts calling the school, can someone confirm this story?? I searched the t.v. station's web page for key words and the suspect's name and cannot find anything about this. If this did in fact happen, by all means, let them hear about it. If this is false or very old, please don't bother the school district!
  • Ok, I know I don't have the full story but still....Seriously....do we want civilians to not do the right thing? way to go Cypress Lake - you have just made sure that no student will step up and do the right thing in a precarious situation.
  • I just found video of the news story. The innocent student was immediately suspended pending the outcome of the investigation, which is their policy. And to me that makes sense. He was involved in a situation with a gun. They have to determine his involvement. I think a three day suspension was too much as it should not take that long to determine who was involved and how by interviewing the other kids on the bus. All that being said, I don't think we need to blow up the school district's phones with calls!
  • This is joke, right? Suspend three students for saving a life. I guess if they don't do anything, they have been expelled. Ah yeah, what was the Bus driver doing
  • Has a side story, it was announced today that common sense in America died. Common sense had been sick and fading for quite awhile. Common sense will be sorely missed.
  • So three kids save the life of another student, but get suspended in return? Further proof the school system is screwed up and not doing its job at all.

I am DISGUSTED.
  • I completely understand the need for having these kinds of policies. The gun could have gone off in the struggle and one of the heroic students could have been injured. However, when someone risks their life to help another and everything turns out alright, you don't punish that person. You reward them. Honestly, these kids should be given medals, not suspensions
  • These kids were Heros, in my book, however, isn't the definition of "Hero" someone who unselfishly puts him/herself between the innocent and danger? This school needs to be inundated with letters, phone calls, etc. Shouldn't stop there either...go higher - governor, senators, etc. There is one thing to consider though. The school bus driver is ultimately responsible for everything that goes on in a school bus but how can a driver detect weapons? That driver must be just horrified. I know I would be thinking of a rather different outcome. That school district needs to get their heads out of their *** and publicly reward these young people. How stupid are they?????
  • Really?!?! Wish there was a way to tell those kids good job instead of telling them not to help your fellow human.... But then again, This is a politically correct nation anymore...
  • Impressed with the actions of the 16 year old for his actions. Down side to it all besides for those involved. This will just give the US government more ammo in trying to take the citizens guns away. Because god forbid the arrestees parents be held accountable too. But no take out on the people of those who live in the land of the free.
  • Here are the email addresses of the school administrators, which were obtained from the schools public website.
    Principal Tracy Perkins: TracyAP@leeschools.net
    Asst Principal Tara Meagher: TaraDM@leeschools.net
    Asst Principal Adam Kurtz: adamjk@leeschools.net
    Asst Principal Johnathan Druskis: JohnathanPD@leeschools.net
    Asst Prinicpal Rochelle Thimlar : ShellyLT@Leeschools.net

I will be sending them an email as soon as I finish this post. I just ask that we all keep it professional and let them know that, as Law Enforcement Officers, we find this reprehensible.
  • WTC? This is stupid and crazy!!!! those students she be honored and not suspended!
  • This is the sheep mentality that allowed some guys with box cutters to bring down the World Trade Center and kill thousands.
  • What kind of crap school is that
  • Granted he saved many lives, but it could have turned out way different. The same rule is if an employee tries to do the same thing at his job,he will be terminated. He is still a hero, and thank God that no one was injured!
  • I just can not believe what I am reading, this is one more reason why parents homeschool their children, these 3 students shouldn't have been suspended from school.. I hope to god the gunman at this school received something more than a SUSPENSION, I have to say to these 3 young students " A JOB WELL DONE " AND GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU.
  • @midwest5Oh: The story is legit - found numerous references, this is but one
    http://www.fox4now.com/news/local/195176031.html
  • Well it appears that those 3 ruffians, probably conservatives &that other "C" word, traumatized that poor football player. He undoubtedly suffered too many head injuries play that vicious so called sport. They needed to invite him to self actualization group, so he could get in touch with negative feelings. Those bullies deserve to be suspended and need year of Government directed therapy, so the stop attacking their fellow students.
    Yeah right! Give them MEDALS Sign them up for the first Academy class after they graduate. Way to go GENTLEMEN.
  • To kevorkianjr: Your humor doesn't really fit in this discussion. These heroes risked their lives to prevent a potential murder and who knows what else! It is better to act to confront evil than to sit and do nothing. Sometimes rules must be broken. Glad they did it this time, and the three worked together.
  • When someone risks their life to save someone else, they deserve to be honored, and praised - NOT punished and suspended! Time for the Flordians to stand up and defend the hero in this case!
  • Absolutely un-f'ing believable.
  • Typical S. Fl. B.S.
  • This is a joke, right? The kid very likely prevented something seriously bad happening, and all they can do is say "Hey, you broke the rules, you're suspended" instead of at least thanking the kid for his actions? Major fail on the school district's part.
  • What kills me is that the official reason for suspension was that the student "was involved in an incident involving a firearm", which makes it sound like he had a gun, not that he disarmed another student with a gun. And that's in his permenant record now. That's what potential colleges are going to see
  • I am disgusted that the school district shows no discretion, judgment or common sense. He courageously did what nobody else in that school would do and he gets in trouble for it. What are kids supposed to think.... if I do bad, I get in trouble; if I do a good, courageous thing... I get in trouble. We as a society, don't leave the youth with too many options. He should get a medal!!
  • Disgusting. I am it believing this.
  • This is a common sense thing. But if common sense was so common, everyone would have it. This kid saved countless lives and got punished for it.
Thin Blue Line Decals at FireandRescueDecals.com

Welcome to The Thin Blue Line

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tagged