Thin Blue Line Decals at FireandRescueDecals.com

Do you consider Correctional Officers to be LEO'S?

2»

Comments

• edited 23 Jan 2013
    I am a D.O. (Detention Officer) with the 3rd largest County in the Country. I walked the yard at Tent City for the first 5 years it was open. It was me, and 4 others on a heavy staffed day, with 1,200 inmates. I investigated rapes, assaults, homicides, DV's and drug activity. I have been assaulted, been in 5 "disturbances" the word Riot, doesn't pass the headline test. I have been a IACP certified DRE since 1993 and Instructor since 1995. I am my Agencies DUI expert. I have knocked on doors in the middle of the night to tell someone that their loved one is not coming home. I processed with my partner over 200 DUI's in December 2012 as they were dropped off at our CP to keep our Deputies on the road to find more drunks. I am on call for our VCU unit, using my DRE training, to make cases of aggravated assault, and manslaughter from serious injury and fatal crashes. My uniform and duty belt are the same as our deputies, I just, with pride, display a patch on my sleeve that says "Detention Officer".
  • yes i would say we are LEO's...the respect issue is more due to the police being in the public view 24/7 as opposed to a CO being "out of view" because we work "inside" the wall/fence. I am a 28 year(as of march 4th) veteran of corrections in 2 states w/no break in service.
  • I became a police officer in Cape Girardeau, Mo in 1972...Became a Correctional officer in 1976....Retired from the Federal Bureau of Prisons in 1997....At the ripe age of 53, I went thru the Police Academy in Salma, Alabama in 1999...I retired after 12 years and I know that all Correctional Officers are trained as well as most police officers. They are Law Enforcement Officers every day they put on the uniform....
  • I worked corrections for a while and in my area, C/O's aren't really respected by the public, police, or deputies. The main reason was because of the reputation of the facility I was employed with. I have had police and deputies ask me how I could work corrections. Some gave me kudos and some laughed. In my eyes ANY form of public safety (corrections, police, deputy, p.s.a) to be a L.E.O. We all work together in some way, shape and form.
  • What is your authority on the street as a CO? I don't mean any disrespect. You asked if there was a difference. There is. But in all honesty you are still an integral part in the LE community. My hat is off to any of you in the DOC. I worked in a county jail for two years prior to joining my department 27 years ago. Even today, I don't want to be a CO. I look at it like this, it is not our uniform or our title that makes us "law enforcement". It's the goal we have in common; Get em off the street, Keep em off the street.
  • edited 4 Feb 2013
    Yes we are Law Enforcement. Show me one state that does not have Correction Law.
    Not to mention the "town" I work in has 1621 residents who are all convicted fellons of a population of about 2200. The 600 others are "seasonal" residents.
  • I have been in corrections for a long time, Most of it spent in Arizona. In Arizona the CO's get alot of respect from the community, but when my wife got transfered to Utah I went to work for the Dept Of Corrections, I can tell you their is a big difference in this state. The CO's here are not considered Law Enforcement. There is no respect for them. They are referred to as want a be's. Its sad.
  • CO deserve the same level of respect as another LEO. Some of the best people skills are learned being a CO. LEO use gun qualified CO's on the Sheriff's department to assist in riots or other emergencies when their short on patrol officer's. To me LEO is a team of officers willing to protect and respect each other. As for me respect is always earned and not given cause you have on a LEO uniform.
  • I'm a Correctional Officer in the State of Maryland. I've worked in Corrections for almost 14 years. I am one of our department's gang unit investigators and currently assigned to the central processing unit. In my department we as Correctional Officers work very closely / hand-in-hand with our Police / Sheriffs / State Troopers to get the job done. I feel that we are ALL on the same team and " YES " Correctional Officers are LEO'S and I am pretty sure that any of the Police / Sheriffs / State Troopers in my county would agree. Let's all remember whether you work the streets or behind the walls WE are ALL on the same team. So lets watch each others backs and go home safe at the end of our shifts! ....

mcdc1071 ....
  • I was a CO for 4 1/2 years until we relocated due to my husbands job, he is a LEO. To me they are similiar but have different roles. They both are stressful, deal with negativity, and dangerous. Both deserve respect.
  • Thin Blue Line Decals at FireandRescueDecals.com
  • I worked as a corrections officer for 4 years, due to myself pushing another officer out of the way, I was struck in the spine with a5 inch shank. Now until I fully heal from the surgery I a security officer. The difference in the way I'm treated is an embarrassmeant. I would give my life up to protect another life but yet I'm treated as nothing from Leo's. Yet I still show them UT most respect they deserve.
  • YES Correctional Officers are Law Enforcement Officers! Especially in fed system!
  • I have been a Correctional Officer for over 9 years between New York State (where Correctional Officers are typically seen as 'nothings.') and Arizona. I have never seen so much respect for Correctional Officers as I have out here in Arizona/California. I really appreciate the kind words I have read from Police Officers that I have read here. It is really nice to know that some officers on the street respect the dangers we face and the job we do everyday. I will always back up an officer on the street if I see an officer in danger! You ladies and gentlemen really do have
  • any police who doesn't consider a CO an LEO is an ignorant fool with little knowledge of either.
  • Hello, I am a Florida State Probation Officer under the Department of Corrections. I do not carry a weapon, I have a cell phone and my backup is the nearest LEO. I worked as a CO in Winchester VA. I believe that all three areas-Road, Corrections, and Probation need equal respect-each has their own dangers and we all are there to protect the public. Each are is important and necessary. I would not want to do the CO position again and I don't believe I would want to be an officer on the road, this position has what I want in order contribute and help society. Any other Probation Officers out there?
  • In Delaware we are sworn in as Offciers. I have state police authorty while working in the prison or while supervising inmates out in the community.
  • I started my career as a C/O for several months before moving to a PD. No doubt in my mind that they are brother and sister LEOs. On the street I have my Colt, ASP, & spray plus my fellow officers. Inside they just have each other.
  • When I got out of the Navy, I went into corrections as a foot in the door for law enforcement. I found out I was good at what I do, so stuck with it. A lot's changed since I started, now more and more agencies are considering us as LEO's. Just remember we are all on the same team, and at the end of the day all we have are each other.
  • edited 1 May 2013
    For all the Police officers who don't understand, know this. In my facility i know of 2 officers that came from local PD, only to leave within 6 mos because they couldn't handle being in the 'environment' w/o their personal safety gear (side arm; pepper; taser and asp.) i am friends with most of the local PD's through being a member of the local FOP. they are my friends and i feel give me the utmost respect for my side of the fence.
  • My 2 cents. I was a NYC Police officer for 8 years and a narcotics detective for 6. All in south bronx. Because of administrative issues I transferred to county corrections. Both jobs have their respective dangers. A cop needs to worry about the unknown. Correction. Officers deal with behavior, attitudes threats fear. Let me explain. As a cop you dealt with an ass for 30 min or less. You either sent him on his way or collared him. In a jail you deal with these assholes every fucking min of your work day. Your tested and retested. I've been a CO for 10 years. I'm a sergeant for the ESU team. I'm 5'9" 230. I get fucked with more in this setting thing in the street. You once here a lot don't have much to lose. They act out to gain a reputation and they hate being told what and when to do what they freely did. So being both for equal amour of time I feel that both carry heavy stressors. All in all I consider ALL that deal with the criminal justice system are lEO. We can put each other Down all day but many have turned other or multi agencies for assistance. Parole has worked with many detective squads. Valuable gang info is passed on from corrections to federal gang intel. We all Maori hand in hand. God bless All

Mnk
  • We all work hand in hand. Excuse the grammatical area. I'm 44 and miss the feel of a real word processor. Fuckin IPhone keyboard and auto correct! Lol
  • I just would like to ask who gave police officers the right to claim the term LEO for themselves. Last time I checked it stood for law enforcement officer now from what I know law enforcement encompasses the whole shebang a law enforcement officer Is a general term to describe all officers that enforce the laws of the land to include police officers corrections officer probation and parole officers deputies etc. So in my opinion police officers have it all messed up because the term LEO is not specific to police officers. And on another note why is it that we cannot agree on this subject but the criminals have decided along time ago that we are all the same. And never will you hear of a criminal ask are you a LEO or a correctional officer before they try and kill you. All they see is Blue and we should do the same. Because at the end of the day it's us against them
  • Some Countys do both. Street and Detention. So yes I do. Still protecting the public, whether in a building or riding around in a car.
  • I have been in the LE work force for more than 30 years. I have worked both Corrections and Patrol.
    Corrections are not seen the same as the Road COPS because they are not seen. They are behind the closed confines of the jail.
    Corrections learn skills that help those that choose to become Line Officers. Verbal skills are much better with former Corrections Line Officers.
    The Public has little knowledge of the differences and in some cases there is none. Some States or agencies Commission Corrections the same as the Line Officers (at least during scheduled work hours)
    Both Road and Corrections have a job to do that most others want no part of. Neither can do their job without the other...........
    In short Yes, City and County Corrections Officers are indeed Law Enforcement Officers.
  • As a veteran of corrections if 8 years both state and now federal I have to say that I do not get the same respect from local Leos. They look at us as trouble in uniforms. Or wash outs. There is a reason I live the mantra "you have to have balls to work behind these walls". (No disrespect to my sister Leos and CO)
  • I am currently a Chief of Police in Ky. My LE career started in Powhatan Cor. Ctr. In Va. CO's certainly do deserve all respect. Anyone that does not agree should work inside the concrete jungle for some tours.
  • Corrections officers make good police officers or deputies. I'm in Mississippi and alot of of Sheriff departments start there deputies out as jailers or CO's. You get great training in the jails and prisons.
  • Ok Now a Canadian perspective. Alot of R.C.M.P ( Royal Canadian Mounted Police for those that don't know) officers began their career in Corrections. Here the police, sheriff's and Corrections are all separate departments. I do have Peace Officer status while on the job, and I have found the RCMP have a great respect for corrections officers since many of them have worked in the field.I have a great sense of pride when i put my uniform on and go to work, it is a line of work that very few people can cope with.

Frankly however we are the officers that are rarely seen as being a part of law enforcement. We are the ones who have to main control of the mean, the cruel and the ruthless, with no weapons. we keep them locked up and must maintain a a non judgmental attitude and perspective for the crimes people have committed and keep them safe. If that is not a job that deserves respect, no form of law enforcement deserves it.

If your going to look down at a C/O maybe your not cut out to be in law enforcement at all. Maybe the ones that think they are above being a C/O should be looking at a different line of work, because clearly you dont want to work with us who do work in corrections.
  • All's I am going to say is, I have done State Corrections in the South and in the NORTH. BELOW say the STATE of DELAWARE you get NO RESPECT at all...Very sickening to be honest. Down south they look at you as GUARDS!!! NOW up North say NY,NJ,CT so on now there you get respect!!!! That is what I have had experience with in the NORTH and SOUTH with being a CO in South and the North...Weird but SAD at same time...My bro is a COP in NYPD, he knows what I deal with being a CO so he respects the CO's!!!! We should be treated all the same but it matters what part of the Country you live in as well from what I've seen and been through over the years...And it is funny for someone to say Correctional Officers are RENT-A-COPS lol They think it is such a easy job. Why don't they work in a prison/jail for a week. Bet they will leave fast and not go back!!!! AND I didn't spell check this cause I had a lot on my mind from some posts I've been reading.
  • Very WELL SAID ''PROUDCO''
  • STLCO1 ----Great Comment and I totally agree with you!!!!
  • Without a doubt they are. They are also a very under appreciated group, doing a thankless job that nobody else will do.
  • yes I do we put our lives on the line everyday,and we have nothing but out brains a radio, we need more. We should also be able to carry under the 50 state carry law HR 218 as full LEO but in Virginia that is an issue they won't let us do it. Well that's my take on this issue, be safe. I am a DCT Operator and Corrections SGT/ Shift Commander.
  • in North Carolina a probation officer works for the Dept of Corrections, NC general statute plainly says the a probation/parole officer has all the power and authority as the Sheriff of the county in performance of his duties.. so YES they are LEO's
  • I saw this and thought a lot of the comments were interesting... Let me say this (for VA at least)...

C/Os by definition are LEOs. However, the extent of the authority is granted and governed by the state. Therefore, when a C/O is not working in the capacity of their duty, their powers of arrest are suspended. C/Os are also not bound by a "duty to respond". That means simply, if you see something happening, you are not required to do anything more than a normal citizen. In that aspect, we actually have it easier than the street cops who don't get the luxury to say "I didn't see anything".

Getting the respect of an LEO depends greatly on who you deal with AND most importantly- HOW YOU PRESENT YOURSELF! I know a great number of street cops all over the state and they admit that its hard to work around dangerous people with next to nothing to defend yourself.

As far as the comment about "...controlled people without weapons...", I have to laugh... It is obvious that that person has never seen how easy it is for an inmate to get the items and then fabricate a shank and THEN conceal it on their person.
  • My agency we are all consider Federal Law Enforcement Officer.