Thin Blue Line Decals at FireandRescueDecals.com

Disarming Fellow LEOs on a Traffic Stop

Do any of you guys do it? What's the point if they have the credentials?

Comments

• The only time I ever would is if I suspected any illegal activity such as DWI, narcotics, etc. Other than that, I would treat them the same as a CHL holder and not disarm them.
  • edited 23 Nov 2012
    Same as above comment, basically, except that I wouldn't treat them the same as a CHL holder. I'd treat them like a fellow LEO. :)
  • Well, I meant in so far as disarming them I would treat them as a CHL holder, such as if they began getting irate, showing attitude, etc. That would be a sign of something else going on and weapons and hot heads are a bad combination.
  • Unnecessary handling of firearms is a risk in itself.
  • edited 23 Nov 2012
    Nope...never did. Mostly because when I found out they were an LEO the "traffic stop" was over and the social contact began.
  • No point in disarming a LEO or even a CCL permit holder. Unless there is something criminal going on.
  • Had it happen to me recently. Officer admitted not being familiar with a 1911, but insisted on unloading it himself. This after I presented credentials and badge.

Never done it myself...not even with a CCW holder, unless there were mitigating circumstances.
  • Once I learned that I was dealing with a fellow law enforcement officer then I looked to establish a new friendship. I can tell you that policy has served me well. Now that I am retired, when I go to other cities I look up those contacts and it has proven beneficial to me and my family.
  • I don't think it is even legal to take anyone's legal firearm, LEO or CCW holder, if there is no probable cause to believe there is a crime being committed. Seems to me like it would be a Fourth Amendment violation.
  • It is legal, though it may be against your department policy. You do not need probable cause to disarm someone, as officer safety trumps nearly everything else. You may be explaining yourself to your sergeant as to why you disarmed a fellow LEO or even a CHL holder if that person made a complaint, but it is not illegal.
  • Thin Blue Line Decals at FireandRescueDecals.com
  • Wilavitt, as mentioned officer safety alone is reason to disarm if you choose. Please go do some reading if your an LEO.

At any rate, I don't disarm CCW holders unless I think something else is going on with them so I'm certainly not going to disarm an LEO.
  • edited 26 Nov 2012
    CCW holder - maybe (if they give me a reason to). A fellow LEO, nope - not unless they've gone barking moonbat crazy.

A quirk in the Colorado law makes it a crime (misdemeanor) to disarm an LEO without justification AND consent. Should have been an 'OR' in there....

We are permitted by law to disarm CCW holders for the duration of the contact.
  • Wilavitt, I don't think they are talking about taking the firearm from either the LEO or CHL, CCW, CCL holder. I think they are asking if you make the weapon safe (unload or relocate the weapon) throughout the duration of the stop.
  • edited 29 Nov 2012
    I agree with ^^^. A legal possesor of a Gun should not be disarm unless there is at least reasonable suspicion of a crime. On a routine traffic stop as soon as you ID yourself as a LEO, the stop is over. I was stopped in SC, ID myself as LEO, stated that I had a concealed handgun. I was not issued a citation or disarmed. I will do the same for LEOs. CCW should not be disarmed either as stated above.
  • I always take possession of any known firearms during and interaction if they are in reach of a subject. Except confirmed LEO's. We have to trust each other every day. Besides, unless something egregious is going on the stop is over anyway.
  • Your lucky he didn't pop a hottie in you and he is lucky that he didn't pop himself. His kind spook the daylights out of me !!! Pepsi Generation Cops ???? ( Lord, thanks again for the retirement )
  • PS - Safe Retirement !
  • edited 5 Apr 2013
    Odds are the CCW holder is no threat to officer safety. Especially if they inform you up front, which in my state is a legal requirement. We all say here that we support the gun rights of private citizens. Are we really going to say that their gun rights are void if the officer chooses to arbitrarily void them? If even on a temporary basis? I can see asking where the weapon is and telling them not to touch it, but just outright disarming the subject for the duration of the traffic stop, with no PC other than a minor traffic violation, is wrong and unconstitutional. If you can't search the car, I'm gonna go with you can't confiscate their weapon either. That's just my rule of thumb
  • I will say, however, that asking the subject, LEO or CCW, to unholster the weapon and set it on the passenger seat or the dash, where you could have visual contact with the weapon, would be completely fine. I wouldn't do that myself, but I wouldn't correct an officer for making that request
  • As a retired Firearms Instructor I believe the safest place for the concealed weapon is right where it is. If the subject is a LEO or CCW holder odds are he knows his particular weapon better than you do. Handling an unfamiliar weapon can cause accidents. Making the weapon more accessible lying open on the seat is a bigger risk than forcing a subject to draw in the confines of a car with seat belts and consoles to complicate his drawing his weapon in an aggressive action. Less than 1% of gun crime is caused by CCW holders. They are usually the good guys.
  • As soon as I see the badge during a stop, the stop is over and the brother(sister)hood begins.
  • Eagle1_Fox2, it depends on which state. Here in my state, we're not even allowed to make them show it to us. We can ask where it is, but that's it.

I see this a LOT on Facebook and other forums. Debates start over laws and other details. It all depends on what state you're in. Two people from different states could both be right and be arguing different sides.
  • My family and I were traveling through Louisiana. Cruise control was set. On the interstate we were 10 over posted. Didn't see the drop from 70 to 60 on that long bridge. Anyway, pulled over by the state. Husband has a CCW and I am a deputy. Both of our guns were taken from us and "run to make sure they weren't stolen". Never looked at dl's. Gave us a verbal warning. Oh and I had to tell him how to safe and clear my Kimber with my hands on my head. He took our guns and separated mags and put them in random bags in the back of my SUV where my kids were. I have never taken a gun from any cop.
  • Why disarm anyone if they are carrying legally? LE or civilian. If someone gives you a reason to suspect you or another might be in danger, thats about the only reason to demand somones weapon. In my opinion, it shouldn't be requested, ever. If you are requesting someones firearm instead of demanding it, there's a problems as to the need for you to have it from the owner in the 1st place.
  • I'm a retired LEO and just can't believe some of the comments from other LEO's. Things must have really changed since I retired. Traffic stop, LEO, stop over. You guys and ladies need to stick together. You're all you got out there.
  • When find out its a LEO I let them go and start looking for another violator. Unless we start talking. Then it's just one brother to another. Stay safe my friends!!!
  • It is not legal in WI to "MAKE" a CCW holder give you their weapon, or even show you their permit during a consensual encounter. During a traffic stop, you can "ASK" for their weapon, but as far as I'm concerned, a LEO, or CCW holder is keeping their weapon in their holster while I have contact with them. a LEO is being sent on their way with a handshake, and a "have a good day brother/sister."
  • Never disarmed a LEO, have asked a CCW holder to show me where their weapon was. Depending on the CCW attitude during the initial contact would I ask them to relinguish the weapon. Very few times.
  • I look at like this, if it is an LEO and has his/her badge and I.D. I leave him/her be. If it is a CCW holder, I tend to leave them alone too. I have learned in my time that the bad guys don't normally tell you that they have a weapon until its go time then you have to find it or its pulled on you. As a normal rule the ones that say, hey Officer I have a gun on me, in the glove box, etc. are more often than not the ones I DO NOT have to worry about. With this said there are always exceptions to the rule.
  • edited 9 Jul 2013
    It is legal to disarm someone if the officer can articulate that he felt his life may be in danger if he were to allow the weapon to remain in the LEO or CCW holders possession. However unlikely this situation may be it could happen.

I am a College Police Officer and we have officers come on to our campuses open carrying all the time and occasionally it sets off alarm. However we don't know that the person is an LEO, all we get from dispatch is a guy with a gun in this building. So we go in guns drawn as if its a possible active shooter. We locate the gun holder and tell him to put his hands on his head. He can shout "I'm a cop" all he wants I am still gonna tell him to put his hands on his head and and might even tell him to get on his knees. (You can buy badges on Ebay) Then I will disarm him, I may or may not cuff him. (Probably not) and then I will determine if he truly is an officer by checking his credentials and contacting his dispatch. All of this is my dept policy. But if he gets offended cuz he came in open carrying a gun and scared people enough for us to get called then he shouldn't be cop. I would understand if the same thing happened to me.
  • A traffic stop? What type. DUI/DWI yea I'll take the weapon. Speeding, failing to stop at light / sign ect, I think not.
    LE know the risks. We are all humans and make mistakes, but don't let it be your last mistake because it's a LEO.
    LEOSA makes it legal to carry in ALL 50 states. Sometime I do, Sometimes I don't. I have been stopped twice in 30 years of LE work, both time's for speed. (I just don't watch the speedo like I should) First time the Officer never knew I was a COP and never asked. yes I was packing. The second time the officer asked if I had any weapons, I said yes. He asked where. I told him my right hip. He asked for my DL and Reg which I handed over.
    The reason the second stop was questioned is because in my state we have colored Bear decals in our windows. Blue for City Police, Green for County, Gold for State and Black for Federal. It lets the officer know that you are LE and that you may well be armed. ( No surprise ).
    Anyone can have a badge, It's the commission card that counts.... isak15
  • How do those of you with Federal prisons in your area treat officers who carry under LEOSA? The local cops in my area are nervous with just the ID and no badge. I carry from time to time when off duty under LEOSA.
  • Any time I have stopped LEO and they showed me their ID or badge, the stop is over and they are on their way. I have been stopped a few times and let go with no questions asked when I showed them my ID/badge except on one occasion. Mississippi Highway Patrol looked at my LEO ID, handed it back and Told me to stay in the vehicle. He came back with a ticket for the full speed that I was going. I don't have hard feelings because in reality I was speeding, but come on now. We all bleed blue.
  • edited 11 Jul 2013
    @ Mato_Cikala - Yes anyone can have a badge and it is the commission card that counts or in my state the commission card and the license card. That is sort of what I was trying to imply. And @Tquinn1009 - Don't just flash your badge and commission card on a stop. Well at least I wouldn't recommend it, cuz its kind of like just saying you expect to get off on the stop and it is kind of a douche move. My policy is I just keep my hands on the wheel and I tell the officer that I have a gun on my hip and my badge is right next to it.
  • I extend professional courtesy to all LEO's active or retired every chance I get. I'd go to about any measure to help an LEO on his way as has always been extended to me in my 43 years in the business.
  • goody123.....as soon as you said Louisiana that's all you had to say.